Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: 9849-8A here is what I got

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I didn't say you were running them on a hotplate your running electricity through them therefore heat all electric devices discharge heat that is were the power usage comes from.It doesn't take much to heat the diaghrams after all they are real thin.Did you ever see on a old fram where the leads go through the fram and sometimes there is glue there it will be black from getting hot if you have a new fram with the glue on the leads it looks a tan or beige color that is before it gets hot or baked from high volume levels or high power levels.

    Superglue begins to smoke at very low temperature they boil it because they are trying to cover a large area with it therefore they use alot of heat and glue.

    Ron I was just trying to be helpful been there done that,and the nextime I opened up the driver my thought was What The F and then I realized the superglue.
    In home use, it's milliwatts. So the magnet assembly will only run at room temp.
    Maybe superglue outgasses on it's own over time?
    I wonder what altec used....that obvuiosly didn't work?


    ron

  2. #12
    HB Super Moderator
    9849-8A here is what I got


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    In home use, it's milliwatts. So the magnet assembly will only run at room temp.
    Maybe superglue outgasses on it's own over time?
    I wonder what altec used....that obvuiosly didn't work?


    ron
    I was curious about that myself I had glued the tangerine back in and I had power to it literally only minutes when I opened it up there was that white film all over the diaghram,driver the whole inside of the cap area except the felt of course as soon as you touch it you leave your finger prints in it.Almost looked like it was dusted with talc.

    It is the diaghram that gets warm not magnet assembly they are very thin so it probably doesn't take to much to heat.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Attention Ron!!!!

    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I was curious about that myself I had glued the tangerine back in and I had power to it literally only minutes when I opened it up there was that white film all over the diaghram,driver the whole inside of the cap area except the felt of course as soon as you touch it you leave your finger prints in it.Almost looked like it was dusted with talc.

    It is the diaghram that gets warm not magnet assembly they are very thin so it probably doesn't take to much to heat.
    I superglued a couple of other tangerines in 902-8A drivers. Several years ago. I've never opened them up since. I better go have a look see I think.
    I'll let you know what I find.

    Ron

  5. #15
    HB Super Moderator
    9849-8A here is what I got


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Attention Ron!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I saw that too it went with a adapter 21216 and he also has a 311-90 that this driver was hooked up to maybe you could ask about the tangerine to see if this one has one.

  6. #16
    HB Super Moderator
    9849-8A here is what I got


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    I superglued a couple of other tangerines in 902-8A drivers. Several years ago. I've never opened them up since. I better go have a look see I think.
    I'll let you know what I find.

    Ron
    Hi Ron, I have one other thought that I was considering the glue on mine was still wet alittle I think,if allowed to dry thouroughly that may prevent that film from forming.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Why not try a dab of epoxy glue?

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Attention Ron!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    If you blow up the pic, looks like a whole bunch of junk in the throat, correct?

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    Why not try a dab of epoxy glue?
    There are many glues now, explain please?

    Ron

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Attention Ron!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    If you blow up the pic, looks like a whole bunch of junk in the throat, correct?
    Correct, it could just be the bug screen and the way it diffused the flash. One thing sure, it's general appearance and "23746" make it a correct 9849 driver for that vintage span that used them.

    I'm nervous about looking in my other 9849, i figure with my luck i'll have one steel phase plug and one tangerine.

    With regard to glues for reattaching tangerines, i'm going to try rtv silicone. I just picked up a pair of 902's with that familiar sound of something loose inside, hopefully it hasn't beat the phragm to death.

    It's my understanding that the reason these things let go in the first place is because of expansion/contraction caused by temperature changes and extremes.

    My thinking is that even in the very small quantity required for this application, the silicone would have enough flexibility to compensate for the very different rates at which plastic and steel expand and contract
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.